Refreshing Lavender Cupcakes!
I was really surprised how wonderful and unique these cupcakes are! They turned out very balance, as to the texture and light flavor of the cupcake to the richness of the frosting. There was 100 percent LOVE in these cupcakes when I made them. I gave one as a gift and packaged it all up. Everyone that tried these thought they were very good! That makes me happy. Give them a try, they were super easy and really fun to make!
Ingredients for the Cupcake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter - softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring *
- 1/2 teaspoon blue food coloring*
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried lavender buds
- 2/3 cup cold milk
Ingredients for the Butter Cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter - softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions for Making Lavender Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, with electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time and beat after each egg. Stir in the vanilla and food coloring.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Use a food processor or coffee grinder to make the lavender buds more fine. Stir into the flour mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture then stir in the cold milk.
- Scoop batter into lined muffin tins. Bake for 18-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the tins, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Directions for Making Butter Cream Frosting
- In a large bowl with a electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together. Add powdered sugar 1 Cup at a time, mixing on low, until the frosting is smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract and honey.
- Scoop frosting into a freezer size zip lock bag and twist top of bag to push down the frosting into one of the corners. Cut the corner of the zip lock bag. I started piping from the outer part of the cupcake into the center.
- Sprinkle with whole lavender buds. Enjoy!
*Note - If you would prefer a lighter color, begin with 1/4 teaspoon of the red and blue food coloring and continue adding drops of each until you like the color.